Music of the Moment

Sunday, September 21

POLY Conference Day

Twice a year, we have to work on Saturday.


That's not too bad. Really. Considering that this "work" is actually attending a conference which is held in a different location each time and consists of workshops and ALL of the POLY teachers being in the same building at the same time.


It's pretty crazy. Considering that there are like, thirty POLY campuses. Maybe more, maybe less. Anyways. This time, it was held in Ilsan, which is north of Seoul. It took about an hour to get there in the morning, but because of Saturday night traffic, it took around two hours to get back to Pyeongchon! Buuut, I slept most of the way, so that was good. It wasn't the most comfortable position - I think I was slouched in the seat, with my head against the side of the bus, and my neck cocked to the left at like, a 45 degree angle. But, it worked.


The event itself was pretty cool. I mean, for my first work-related conference ever and all. There was a key note speaker, lunch, and then three workshops. Lunch was AMAZING, oh my goodness. Think catered dinners at SMU ... only ten times more AMAZING (because it was asian food). The workshops weren't bad - I was reminded of sessions I attended while at Washington Business Week. The key note speaker was a little dry - but he did bring up a few things I found interesting (although, perhaps not in the same context that he was using them). Most notably is the theory of the multiple intelligences. It is a little difficult to explain, so let me copy and paste from an email I wrote to a friend.


"For example, there is the theory of multiple intelligences which suggests that the traditional idea of knowledge as we have been taught (based more on IQ testing with emphasis on the logical and the linguistic) is very limited and leaves room for serious error (which I agree with)."


In fact, I was interested enough in it that as soon as I got home I went online and found a website where there was a sample test. You can go there, too, by clicking here. Pretty sweet. Just for the record, my strongest area is allegedly Linguistic and my weakest is Spatial/Visual.


After the conference, a bunch of us went out to dinner in Beomgye. Good ol' Beomgye. When I say dinner, I also mean that we went to Bar 10. I'm not big on bars, but, you know ... with the right people, it's not that bad. Plus, we saw the coolest show there - I'll post a video or two at the end so you can see it.


After Bar 10, a few of us headed into Anyang because there is a hip hop club called MC there. So we went, and danced, and met a few people, and danced some more. I'm learning, however, that clubs really aren't my thing. So, don't worry - I'm not becoming a club-maniac or anything. Just for those worried folks back home. :)


That's about it. That was my entire Saturday. Work, dinner, dancing. :) Now, it's time for sleeping.


No comments: